Spring Has Sprung! Protect Your Large Purchases With the Proper Insurance
Dreaming of a new home, car, or RV?
As winter recedes, leaves appear on bare trees and the air becomes fragrant with the scent of spring blooms, ‘tis the season for major purchases such as a new vehicle or a new house. There’s just something about the Spring and Summer that makes us want to refresh and renew. Perhaps you’re shopping for an RV to head out for parts unknown, with a new boat hitched to the back.
Before you make that trip to the car or RV dealership, sail the seven seas, or sign on the dotted line for the home of your dreams, place a call or pay a visit to your independent insurance agency. These are all major purchases, and major purchases cost major money. Without the proper insurance protection, you could see your dreams end up in pieces and yourself in a rather unpleasant financial situation.
Even if you pay cash for your home, car, boat, or RV, you can lose everything in an instant. The world is full of unknowns, so protect your investments right from the start. Let’s do a quick rundown of the types of insurance coverage you need.
Homeowners insurance offers a number of coverages to protect your home. These include:
- Dwelling protection that covers the structure of your home and attached structures
- Coverage for other structures, such as fences and sheds
- Personal property protection for the personal belongings in your home
- Liability coverage in case someone not living with you is injured on your property
It’s important to talk with the team at your independent insurance agency to figure out exactly what sort of coverage you need for your situation. Additional coverages are available for items such as jewelry, furs, art, and antiques.
In 2019 alone, there were more than six million auto accidents. You have a one in 103 chance of being in an accident every time you step into your car. That’s not to mention hit-and-runs while you’re parked. In addition, more than 700,000 cars were stolen in 2019. Needless to say, having the right insurance is incredibly important. Among the available coverages are:
- Liability to cover damage to someone else’s property or vehicle
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage in case you or a passenger of yours is injured in an accident and that person doesn’t have insurance or enough coverage
- Personal injury protection covers medical expenses no matter who is at fault
The above three coverage are required in most states. You also can buy collision coverage that will help replace your car if it is damaged in a collision with another vehicle or with an object.
Another optional cover is comprehensive–this is what helps pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged by fire, vandalism, theft, falling objects, etc. It’s important to discuss your coverage with your independent insurance agent to make sure you’re completely protected.
In most states, you’re only required to carry liability insurance, but that’s probably a “penny wise, pound foolish,” proposition. You need complete coverage, and the coverage you need also depends on whether you’re a recreational user or a full-timer.
If you are buying an RV for recreational use, you’ll want the following coverage:
- Emergency roadside assistance. RVs cost about three times the amount to tow than other vehicles.
- RV replacement coverage. RV total loss replacement insurance is available if your RV is fewer than five years old.
- Collision coverage. This works the same as with any other vehicle.
- Liability, just like with any other vehicle
- Emergency expenses. This will cover hotel rooms and meals, and could include transportation expenses if your RV is in an accident, breaks down, or is damaged.
- Contents coverage for what’s inside your RV in case it’s broken into.
If you use your RV as a full-time home-away-from-home, you’ll want to talk to your independent insurance agency about additional coverage that closely mirrors homeowners’ coverage.
It’s called jewelry insurance, but it provides coverage for much more. Jewelry and valuable items insurance can cover items from jewelry to collectibles, sporting equipment, electronics, and more – including engagement rings and wedding rings – if they are stolen or damaged in a covered event.
A Personal Articles Floater can cover everything from jewelry to pedigree dogs! This is a stand-alone policy you can purchase separately. If you have homeowners insurance, you can add it as an endorsement.
Be Safe Rather Than Sorry With the Right Insurance
The Insurance Marketplace Agency has been servicing Rochester, NY for almost 50 years.
We’re a local insurance agency you can trust to get you the coverage that you need at a price that fits your budget. Let us shop the marketplace on your behalf. Request a quote today!